Peridex(Chlorhexidine) is an antimicrobial oral rinse used to treat redness and swelling of the gums. It may also be used to treat other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Peridex(Chlorhexidine) is best started after a thorough teeth cleaning by a dentist or dental hygienist. This medication is used as an oral rinse usually in the morning and evening after brushing teeth. Measure out the proper dose as directed, then swish it around in the mouth for 30 seconds or as directed. Then spit out. Do not swallow the drug. Do not rinse mouth, brush teeth or eat immediately after using this drug.
MISSED DOSE: Use any missed dose as soon as possible but not if it is almost time for the next dose. If it is time for the next dose, skip the missed dose and resume your regular schedule. Do not "double-up" the dose.
This medication may cause staining of the teeth or tongue. The stains can be removed by your dentist. Changes in taste, mouth irritation or mouth sores may occur. If this medication is accidentally swallowed, stomach upset or nausea may occur. In the unlikely event you have an allergic reaction to this drug, seek medical attention immediately. Symptoms may include trouble breathing, rash, itching, swelling, or severe dizziness. If you notice other effects not listed above, contact your doctor or pharmacist.
Before using this drug, tell your caregiver your medical/dental history including: any drug allergies. Tell your caregiver if you are pregnant before using this medication. It is not known if this drug is excreted into breast milk. Consult your caregiver before breast-feeding. This medication is not recommended for use in children under 18 years of age.
If overdose is suspected, contact your local poison control center or emergency room immediately. Symptoms of overdose may include slurred speech, sleepiness, and stumbling or staggering walk.
Do not share this medicine with others for whom it was not prescribed. Do not use this medicine for other health conditions. Keep this medicine out of the reach of children. If using this medicine for an extended period of time, obtain refills before your supply runs out.
The above information is intended to supplement, not substitute for, the expertise and judgment of your physician,pharmacist, or other healthcare professional. It should not be construed to indicate that the use of the product is safe, appropriate, or effective for you. Consult your
healthcare professional before taking the product.
Even though this medication is not meant to be swallowed and no interactions would be expected, tell your caregiver of all prescription and nonprescription drugs you use. Do not start or stop any medicine without doctor or pharmacist approval.